Day 64: Phnom Penh > Siem Reap
Phnom Penh > Siem Reap via coach
Claire: We were very pleasantly surprised by this trip!!! Our coach was on time, comfy, spacious, there was free wifi, pastries and water. The 5 hours went so fast, it's definitely been our best coach/bus journeys yet.
Arriving into Siem Reap our super friendly hotel tuk tuk driver met us and we checked into the Green Corner Unique residence. We are in love! The architecture is beautiful and the interiors are kitted our really different too, it's so stylish.
I did have a good chuckle to myself when the hotel receptionist was going through a map of Angkor Wat and explaining how it's such a wonder how it was built because they didn't have 'semen' in those days... I soon realise his pronunciation was a little off and he meant 'cement'. Oh dear!!!
We wasn't sure what to expect from Siem Reap itself, knowing that everybody just uses it as a base for Angkor Wat, but it's really quite a holiday resort!!! We strolled through the town and infamous Pub Street and it didn't feel like we were in Cambodia at all. I guess we hadn't expected it to be so touristy (which is silly considering millions of people visit Angkor each yet) but thankfully our hotel is a little peaceful haven away from the LAAADS.
Gav's day 64 takeaway
- Yep, this little tropical oasis of a place'll do just nicely.
- What's that? Do I wanna go see some temples?
- Nah I'm okay I saw some the other week.
- It's what?? It's the biggest and most historic religious monument in the whole universe?
- Yeah but I've just ordered gin and tonic. Just take a video of the main thing and I'll see you when you get back.